The fifth annual Jozi Film Festival: 2016 Award winners
Jozi Film Festival kept its promise to bring “the best and biggest” festival to date. The Fifth Annual Jozi film (JFF), which took place on 15-18 September 2016 across three venues in Joburg, was a grand success for everyone who attended. After a fun-filled three-day festival, JFF 2016 closed off the event with an award ceremony to honour the best film in each genre. The evening everyone had anticipated had come and the winners of the JFF 2016 awards were announced.
The winners of the Jozi Film Festival 2016 are:
- Best South African Feature Film – Dora’s Peace by Kosta Kalarytis
- Best International Short Fiction – Bon Voyage by Marc Wilkins
- Best South African Short Fiction – Amagugu by Nduduzo Shandu
- Best International Documentary – A Billion Lives by Aaron Biebert
- Best South African Documentary – DOC-U-MENTALLY by Francois Wahl
- Best Student Film – Tabula Rasa by Sandor Csoma
- Audience Choice Award – Wonder Boy For President by John Barker
JFF in partnership with EasyEquities also ran the Love/Hate mobile phone film competition, where contestants had to portray the best and worst of this complex city through a short film (30 seconds to two minutes) shot on a mobile phone. Colbert Dube walked away with the first prize for his Jozi: Love/Hate film. Colbert walked away with a R5 000 grand prize sponsored by EasyEquities.
JFF gave the attendees more reason to celebrate, with the announcement of its new partnership with the Discovery Channel for 2017. Discovery Networks Africa,together with JFF, will launch a special competition for aspiring African directors that will showcase and celebrate unique African stories in a short film. Debbie Brady, Commercial Director for Discovery Networks Africa, is just as chuffed about the partnership as JFF is.
“We are incredibly excited to partner with the Jozi Film Festival and tap into Africa’s emerging filmmaking talent,” she said at the awards event.
Jozi Film Festival keeps going from strength to strength and CN&CO was glad to have been part of this year’s adventure as an official partner.